McLoughlin’s Bookshop opened in 1947 on Shop St, in the heart of Westport. The shop, opened by Michael and Peggy McLoughlin, is the second oldest bookshop in Connacht.
In recent years, their son John McLoughlin and Blatnaid McLoughlin, nee O’Neill have taken over the running of the store. In 1997, John purchased Archie O’Malley’s store, two doors down from the original shop. The store was demolished and refurbished to house the newly named McLoughlin’s Bookshop, stocking Books, Schoolbooks, Stationery and Cards.